What a year.
2020 threw everyone a curveball and has changed the way we travel for the foreseeable future.
As countries are learning to deal with on-going COVID cases, some are starting to open up their borders to travellers again.
If you're itching to plan your next escape, here are some of the best Africa visa-free countries who are welcoming South African travellers.
Namibia opened its borders to South African travellers on September 1st. It's one of the best road trip destinations in Africa, and due to its vastness, you won't run into large crowds along the way.
Top Things to do in Namibia
- Go on a game drive in Etosha National Park.
- Explore Fish River Canyon, one of the largest canyons in the world.
- Explore the desolate Skeleton Coast and its shipwreck graveyard.
- Watch the sunrise over Sossusvlei and visit Dune 45.
Namibia COVID Travel Regulations
- All arrivals need to bring a negative COVID test no older than 72-hours.
- A second COVID test is required seven days after arrival.
- No mandatory quarantine on arrival.
For a specular safari getaway only a short flight from South Africa, you can't go wrong with Botswana.
Our neighbour recently opened their borders for international travel on the November 9th with flights resuming for the Gaborone, Maun and Kasane International Airports.
Top Things to do in Botswana
- Go on a Mokoro Safari in the Okavango Delta.
- Plan a safari across in Chobe National Park.
- Visit the famous Baine's Baobabs.
- Watch the flamingo migration at Nata Bird Sanctuary.
Botswana COVID Travel Regulations
- All arrivals must present a valid negative COVID test conducted 72 hours before departure.
- All passengers are screened on arrival and travellers showing symptoms will be required to go into quarantine for 14-days.
Home to the iconic Masai Mara, sandy white beaches and sparkling blue water, a trip to Kenya is always a good idea.
And it doesn't hurt that it's one of the cheapest destinations for South Africans if you skip the expensive safari destinations and opt for a seaside getaway at Diani Beach or Watamu.
Top Things to do in Kenya
- Witness the "Greatest Wildlife Show on Earth" at the Masai Mara National Park.
- Summit Mount Kenya.
- Stay at Giraffe Manor and have breakfast with the local giraffe population.
- Go snorkelling with sea turtles, dolphins and tropical fish at Watamu Marine National Park.
Kenya COVID Travel Regulations
- A negative COVID-19 test taken with 96-hours before arrival is required.
- All passengers are required to quarantine for 14-days at a government facility or a Keyan residence.
- There is a curfew between 10:00 pm to 4:00 am until January 3rd 2021.
The Seychelles officially opened its borders to South Africans in November. Flights with Air Seychelles between Johannesburg and Mahé have resumed so that you can get your dose of vitamin sea.
Top Things to do in Seychelles
- Spend a beach day at Anse Intendance, one of the best beautiful beaches in Mahé.
- Island hop to Digue Island, Praslin Island and Curieuse Island.
- Explore Morne Seychellois National Park.
Seychelles COVID Travel Regulations
- A negative COVID test taken 72-hours before departure.
- No mandatory quarantine is required.
Which Africa visa-free destination is on your travel bucket list?